Kynlie Moore

Written by Ashlee Moore (Mother):

During the 22nd week of pregnancy, Kynlie's mom's water broke due to staph infection. Her parents were told this was not good and the twin babies probably wouldn't make it. The earliest a baby can survive outside the womb is 24 weeks. Kynlie was born at exactly 24 weeks gestation weighing 1lb 4.5 oz. and was 12 3/4" long. Her twin sister Kirsten passed away when she was born due to staph infection. Her mom was told before she went in for the cesarean section to be prepared for Kynlie to not be alive when she woke up from surgery. Kynlie had a 40% chance of survival and if she did survive, there was an 80% chance she'd have severe disabilities such as cerebral palsy, neurological, lung or digestive problems, vision or hearing loss from the strong antibiotics from the staph infection and the antibiotics Kynlie was on in the NICU.

She spent 16 weeks in the NICU, 200 miles from home and beat all the odds and has no long-term disabilities at all from being born so early. She had severe reflux until she was about two, which caused her to gag very easily and puke almost every time she ate. She did develop stage three retinopathy of prematurity from the oxygen she had to be on when she was almost three months old and was less than 24 hours away from permanent blindness, but doctors performed laser surgery with an experimental injection on her eyes that saved her vision. From the ROP surgery she developed strabismus that required corrective surgery when she was two. She had to go to speech therapy weekly for a year for her severe speech delay and now she never stops talking.

Kynlie is now 5 and a head taller than most kids her age. She loves playing piano, singing, dancing, coloring and drawing. Being asked to be featured in the Tapestry Movement is such an honor as she has truly defied all odds that could have been her future. She has been a fighter since the day she was born and continues to be a feisty little girl. Kynlie said it is so awesome to be part of this because she loves Kayli and her music and would love to be able to sing like her, “It is cool that people would like to hear my story about when I was such a tiny baby and see that anything is possible”.

Ellie Yar

Written by Claire Yar (Mother):

In October 2012, we received the shocking news that no parent should ever have to hear.

"Your child has brain cancer."

It all started during the summer of 2012, when my daughter Ellie, a healthy, smart, regular ten-year-old girl who was into fashion, teen heart-throbs and school friends began complaining of mild headaches. I was not too concerned and she didn't even complain enough for me to offer her medication for them. We just thought she was spending way too much time on the computer. When she started waking up in the mornings with headaches, we still didn't think there was much cause for alarm. After a visit to the pediatrician and a prescription for antibiotics for a sinus infection, we were given instructions from our doctor to come back if the headaches continued after the course of antibiotics was completed.

However, the headaches began to get worse, and when her pediatrician refused to give her medicine for migraine and instead ordered an MRI, I still was not overly concerned, thinking that the doctor was just covering her bases.

On the morning of October 5th, Ellie had the MRI. She is terrified of needles and didn't want to take the contrast injection so this was my biggest concern. As time went on, the MRi became more and more complex, more images were taken and we didn't know what on earth was going on. The technician then told us that "the pediatrician would be calling later" and that's when I started to panic. Before we had left the facility, there was a voicemail from the pediatrician asking for a callback and when I did, was told that Ellie had a 4cm brain tumor. She was admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit that same day where we met with neurosurgeons and oncologists to be told that she would be undergoing a five hour brain surgery on Monday. The entire family was terrified, and the next few hours were a blur of notifying family members and friends and adjusting.

Monday, October 8th came around, and what we now refer to as the "Longest Day" began with PET scans and anesthesia prep. In total, she was under for over 8 hours, and we were extremely relieved when she woke up talking and moving all fingers and toes. The surgery was a success and the tumor had been completely removed. A week later, she had to undergo a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to ensure that no tumor cells were in the spinal fluid and we were all thankful when the results of that test came back clear.

In total we stayed 7 nights in the hospital, and against all odds, Ellie returned to school just three weeks after surgery! She began 6 weeks of daily radiation a few weeks later and was finally done with treatment just before Christmas of 2012. She lost the back part of her hair, but mercifully her long hair covered it (important for a 10-year-old girl) and she did not have to undergo chemotherapy since the type of cancer she had (ependymoma, grade 2) is known to not be very responsive to that line of treatment.

Ellie will continue to receive quarterly MRIs of brain and spine, but today is doing well. The only visible reminder of her journey is the 6 inch scar that runs down the back of her head and neck. Her hair is growing back and she looks forward to a bright future. Like many kids who have experienced traumatic medical diagnoses, she is passionately involved in the pediatric cancer community and speaks for many organizations including (SSBTR) Student Supporting Brain Tumor Research, Ride for Kids, Make-A-Wish Arizona (, Beer for Brains Foundation and others about her brain tumor journey.

Ellie does not think she is extraordinary. She only takes each challenge day by day. She doesn’t know that she inspires others to be strong, or that she is the hero of many. Including me. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer just three weeks after her diagnosis and watching her endure test after test made me able to endure my own cancer journey with dignity and courage. There are special things waiting for her. I just know it!

Lawsen Stanley

Written by Lawsen Stanley:

Hi my name is Lawsen Stanley. I am 17 and a junior in highschool. In my freshman year my health drastically took a turn. I went from being the average healthy teenager to quite the opposite. I started to notice it was hard for me to keep my eyes open in class. The more sleep I got, the more tired I became. As weeks passed I was so tired all the time my body felt heavy.

Everyday once easy tasks now seemed impossible. The more tired I became the more symptoms I developed. Headaches, dizziness, nausea, indigestion, and the list of symptoms went on. It wasn't long until I had to shorten my school schedule from 7 classes to 4. Even with an admitted schedule I missed almost as much school as I attended.In just a couple months my life had completly flipped upside down. I could no longer play volleyball and everything once familiar seemed so far out of reach.

My mom took me to the doctors what seemed like every day, but fast forward a year later and I was still without a diagnosis. Doctors started giving up or doubting if I was even sick in the first place. Kids at school didn't know the daily struggle I endured because I was suffering from an invisible illness. I was forced to make a choice; a choice between giving up or choosing to hope. I chose to put my faith in God's plan for my life and in January of my sophomore year I was finally diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. My life is a daily fight but I have come along way. I am now able to take 6 classes a day and I am a practice player on a volleyball team. I have learned that hope for a brighter future is the best medicine in getting through life's hurdles. I am a proud supporter of the message of the Tapestry Movement and hope for all.